The rehearsal dinner is the perfect opportunity to get together with friends and family, become acquainted with new in-laws and relatives and generally relax and begin the wedding celebrations. Often hosted by the groom’s parents, it gives the married couple-to-be the chance to thank people for support and make sure that everyone is ready for the special day.
With the dinner usually being an informal affair, it presents an ideal chance for everyone to be introduced and break the ice, and will often make the actual wedding run more smoothly. This could be the time to give gifts to the attendants, thank them for being involved, and make sure that anyone who has made a special effort is thanked appropriately.
To ensure that the rehearsal dinner remains an informal and happy affair, the following tips may prove useful in the planning of the meal.
- Plan a different style and menu to the actual wedding meal. If the wedding is a formal sit-down dinner, then try a dinner buffet or even a picnic for the rehearsal meal. Use a theme such as Hawaiian Luau or a Greek meze to make it a little more fun.
- A sit down dinner in a private room can be great for a large party. Have a cocktail hour before the dinner with hors d’oeuvres to give guests the chance to meet and mingle.
- Make sure that everyone is introduced to each other either formally or individually. Finding something personal to say about each person can help guests remember each other and is also an opportunity to thank special people for help and support.
- A nice touch is to show home movies or videos of the bride and groom in their younger days, or have childhood photos enlarged and displayed at the venue.
It should be a simple process inviting our nearest and dearest to the most important day in our life, but making a wedding guest list can be tricky. With seating spaces and the budget often dictating how many guests to invite, the final draft may suit the venue but cause offence to those not invited.
With economics and emotions often causing discord when it comes to planning the guest list, the temptation to give up and get married abroad may prove the most desirable option. However, sitting down and considering a few important factors may help when making those all-important guest decisions.
- List all of the people who are important now and those who have been a part of past lives. A wedding should be a special day and shared with those unique people who have helped shape our lives.
- Close family is obviously a must on the wedding guest list. There may also be more distant family or friends, who have helped to contribute towards the wedding, whether it is financially or by giving moral support.
- Consider the size of each other’s families. Is one distinctly larger than the other? Instead of inviting distant relatives to even up the guest list, consider inviting mutual friends instead.
- Look into the future. There may be different people required to give support in this new phase of life as part of a pair. Inviting such people could cement that support.
If it is still proving difficult to narrow that guest list down after considering these factors, perhaps it may be time to re-consider the size of the venue or whether to restrict the guest list to just family and close friends. Another popular option is to hold an after-wedding party for all those excluded from the special day.
There are so many things for a bride to be thinking of when it comes to the big day. Some things are obviously more important than others are and should be treated as such. For instance, the wedding dress is one of the most important aspects of the day for most brides. But how important are the shoes? Does anyone actually see them? Is the bride going to abandon them at some point during the reception in order to dance with her beloved husband? In short, the shoes should be treated as being almost as important as the dress itself.
Firstly, the height of the heel for the shoes will completely alter the way the dress hangs and flows as the blushing bride walks down the aisle. If the shoes are one inch too high or too low, disaster could strike. The dress and train could look all wrong or, even worse, the bride could end up having to hitch the dress up whilst walking down the aisle or heavens forbid – trip over because the shoes are too low!
Secondly, everyone will see the wedding shoes. The shoes and dress should work together in a way that when the bride steps forward, her shoe should be visible beneath the dress. When a bride walks down the aisle, every person in the room takes in every detail from the hair and makeup, right down past the beautiful dress to the wedding shoes. Choosing the right wedding shoes for the bride is essential to completing the outfit and making the most out of the dress.
It should be remembered though that the shoes should be comfortable enough for the bride to stand in them for a long period of time without fidgeting. All dress fittings should be had whilst wearing the wedding shoes.
There’s nothing we love more than a good celebrity wedding. They are usually lavish affairs, full of style and splendour, so it stands to reason that many of us would like to take some of these celebrity wedding ideas and make them our own. Now, obviously there are a number of ideas that would be far too extravagant and expensive for us to copy, but there are many things we can take and adapt to suit our own big day. The following are a few ideas that we could easily “steal” from a celebrity wedding:
- When Tom Cruise married Katie Holmes, they chose to have a lavish firework display to entertain their guests that evening and this is something that you could easily do on your big day. There are a number of specialised firework display companies that you can choose. They will discuss your preferences with you to make sure that the display is exactly what you want.
- A lot of brides will look for ideas for their wedding dress by having a look at the designer gowns that their favourite celebrities wore on their special day. Some people will get inspiration from a number of different dresses and then get their own unique gown made.
- In terms of getting your guests to and from the ceremony to the reception venue, it might be nice to hire a couple of vintage buses just like Gavin Rossdale and Gwen Stefani did when they were married. You can have these buses decorated in the theme of your wedding and guests will have great fun on the way to the event.
- Instead of having a choir or a string quartet at your wedding ceremony, you could choose to have someone play an acoustic guitar which is what Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen did. This is a contemporary yet romantic choice and is perfect for your special day.
There is a lot to think about when arranging a wedding and one job that requires a lot of thought is the choosing of the bridesmaid dresses. In fact, this job can be quite stressful and more hassle than actually choosing your own dress as you will have a number of different people to please. If you have a few bridesmaids then they are bound to be different sizes and shapes and you will also have to think about their individual tastes and preferences. This means you are going to have a tough job trying to keep them all happy. So how do you go about this?
The first thing that you should do is have a sit down with all of your bridesmaids and ask them what their preferences are in terms of colours and styles of dress. If you have some bridal magazines with you at the time, you can get some ideas of what they do and don’t like. At the end of the day, the choice of bridesmaid dress is going to be yours as it is your wedding but you will want to make sure that you choose something that they will be happy wearing.
There are so many different styles available these days when it comes to bridesmaids dresses that it should be easy for you to find something that will suit everyone. You may have your own idea about what colour you want for the dresses so that it will tie in with the overall theme and in most cases, your bridesmaids will be happy no matter what you choose. If you find that one or two of them have very different preferences to your own, you can come to a compromise by allowing them to choose their own accessories and hairstyles for the big day.
As long as you have chosen bridesmaid dresses that suit your bridesmaid’s shape and skin tone, they really can’t have too much to complain about. And at the end of the day, they should be happy with your choice as it is your big day.
Of the many things that a happy couple has to think about for their big day, wedding transportation is about as important as it gets. The transportation chosen will have to be a practical decision in terms of getting the bride and groom, as well as the rest of the wedding party, to the ceremony and reception afterwards. However, it is not just a matter of practicality because the transportation chosen will also need to be stylish and something which will complement the theme of your wedding.
Many people will go for something elaborate like a beautiful limo and there are plenty of these fabulous vehicles to choose from. Luxurious limousines in black, white or silver are hugely popular and are great for taking the bridesmaids and groomsmen to and from the ceremony because of how spacious they are. And they are definitely the vehicle of choice when it comes to weddings these days.
However, you do not have to have a limousine for your wedding and there are many people who prefer other types of car, such as an elegant Bentley, for example. Others don’t want cars at all and will choose a horse and carriage instead. This is a wonderful choice especially for those who don’t have too far to travel from each venue.
In some parts of Europe, the wedding party will travel on foot to the reception after the ceremony with the bride and groom leading the way. This is a nice touch because there are always many well-wishers along the way cheering on the parade and there will be plenty of people sounding the horns in their cars as well. This helps to make the bride and groom feel even more special.
Depending on where your wedding ceremony and your wedding reception are being held and how far they are from each other, you may have to arrange wedding transportation for your guests as well. Some people will hire a wedding bus which will take guests to the reception from the ceremony and will then drop them off later on that night when the reception has come to an end.
There are many things to consider when it comes to organising your wedding. You need to think about flowers, the reception, the bride’s dress, the bridesmaid’s dresses, wedding rings, and so much more. Wedding programs are another thing that the happy couple will have to decide on. A wedding program is created so that guests can follow the ceremony as well as being able to keep as a memento of the day. The couple will want to ensure they have a number of copies so they can hold on to them as a reminder of their wonderful day also.
When it comes to the wedding program it is important to realise that you don’t have to be too fancy. You can choose something elaborate if you wish or you can just keep it simple. There are many places online where you can have a custom made booklet created which will be bound and will look stunning. However, many couples choose to create their own wedding program for the day as this has a more personal appeal.
The wedding program usually contains an introduction followed by the various parts of the ceremony. It will include readings and hymns if it is a religious ceremony. The program usually also contains the names of the wedding party and some sort of acknowledgement to the families of the bride and groom and to the guests.
The great thing about the wedding program is that you really can have it as fancy or as simple as you like. If you choose to create it yourself, you can find some beautiful stationary for the cover and there are many different embellishments available these days that will ensure that it looks completely unique and stunning.
You may want to make sure that your wedding program complements the theme of your wedding and if this is the case, you can order the program at the same time as your invitations and make sure that they are printed in the same paper and with the same theme. This is what a lot of couples do.
Once you have chosen the date for your big day, you will want to let everyone know and ensure that the people you are planning to invite will know so as to keep that date free. For that reason, save-the-dates cards are very popular. These cards will also allow guests to have all the details regarding accommodation and they can then organise any travel arrangements that they will have to make. The save-the-dates card is the first stationary item that you will send out so you need to get it right. That is why it is important to know some of the basics regarding these cards and the following will help:
• It is very important that you make it clear that this is actually a ‘Save-the-Date’ card that you are sending out and not an invitation. The purpose of this card is purely to make sure that the recipient keeps the date of your wedding free.
• Think about the type and size of card that you choose. If you go for a postcard style card then you will not need to have an envelope and it may work out cheaper for you.
• A simple card is probably best and make sure that you are clear when it comes to names, etc. Make sure to include both the first name and last name for you and your intended.
• Make sure to use a font that is easy to read and clear. Choosing too many different fonts or one that looks like handwriting can make it hard for guests to read.
• You may want to choose your theme from now for your invitations and other stationary items. If you have done this, then you can get your save-the-dates cards made in the same theme. You can make the cards unique by adding stickers or other embellishments.
There are many aspects to arranging a wedding that can cause you stress; but one part that can be fun and exciting is creating the wedding registry. When it comes to choosing a wedding registry, you get to go shopping and choose various items that you would like for your home, etc., but you won’t have to pay for them because you simply create a list and then your guests will choose from this list. This means that you are sure of receiving gifts that you want and that will be useful for you. It is also great for the guests because it means that they know they are buying something that you will appreciate. However, when it comes to creating this list, you may need a little bit of help to get it right. Here are some tips which may be useful for you:
• It might be a good idea to create more than one registry for a couple of stores at least. The reason for doing this is that it makes it more convenient for guests and you have more choice when it comes to compiling your lists. However, it is important not to have duplicate items on the lists so that you don’t end up with two of the same item.
• When creating your registry, find out whether the store would be willing to offer any discounts when someone buys from your registry. If you don’t ask you will never know and there are a number of stores only too happy to offer discounts.
• Think about your guests and what kind of budget they will have to spend. You can choose a variety of items with varying prices so that no matter who is attending, there will be something on the list that they can afford to buy. As long as you have items on the list that you want and that there are prices that everyone can afford, then everyone will be happy.
• Make sure you choose your wedding registry with your partner so that you are both having a say. And it will be more fun that way too.
Every woman should feel magical on her wedding day. A huge part of that magical feeling (aside from marrying the man of her dreams) is feeling beautiful in her wedding gown. The wedding dress is the one dress that no woman should have any doubts about how good she looks in it.
Many women will often have an ideal weight they would like to be on their wedding day and diet to reach it. However, the right dress with the perfect fit has the power to shed pounds and flatter any body type. There are things to keep in mind to ensure a wedding gown fits like a glove:
- Bigger is better – Wedding gowns are traditionally bought some time before the wedding with the bride having a plan in mind about weight loss. It is important to buy a gown for the size that the bride is at that moment in time, not what she hopes to be on the wedding day. Simple alterations can be made to make the dress smaller but it is extremely difficult to make a wedding dress larger.
- Alterations – A bride should make appointments for the dress to be fitted and altered on separate occasions as the wedding draws closer. It is a good idea to watch how much weight is being lost or gained and make appointments accordingly but a base of two dress fittings before the wedding is normally sufficient. Of course from the last fitting to the day of the wedding, it is important for the bride to maintain her weight, not losing or gaining anything if possible.
- Full dress rehearsal – Wearing the exact same clothes that will be worn in the wedding is the best way to ensure that everything will look just the way the bride wants it to on the big day. Underwear and shoes can change the appearance of a dress dramatically. If the bride loves the way the dress looks in the alteration appointments with her chosen underwear and shoes, she can be sure that she will love the way it looks and feels on the day of the wedding.